Thursday, September 2, 2010

Blog Number Two - Two years later

June 9th 2010

Misogynistic, alcoholic, narcissistic, Tucker Max got a half a million-dollar advance for a book based on his blog where he writes about getting drunk and fucking a different woman every night. That’s it. I’m blogging! I know I’ve threatened for two years, but I’m serious. Tucker Max inspired me. Though initially I thought he sounded vile, so I had written him off. Then, I read that he’s offended by being passed off as a misogynist without people actually reading him, and I thought I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I read a little. Turns out, he’s really funny AND he’s a misogynist. We do form opinions without knowing anything. He’s right, it’s not fair.

Like, last week I heard that there was a musical in NY about two gay men having a baby. It’s called, The Kid. First I had a full on anxiety attack because I thought, Oh God, that’s it, someone wrote my musical, the one I’ve been working on since, ugh, I’m not even going to say. The point is, I freaked. He’s written my show and then there won’t be room for me and my show in the world. This is a notion that only a person who is riddled with fear would have. Then I’m thinking, oh his show will probably suck anyway, like that last fertility musical I read about. So, now I hate the show and the author both of which I know nothing about. But remember what Tucker Max said, so I read about the musical. It’s taken from Dan Savage’s book, The Kid. I pick up the book at Barnes and Noble and I can’t put it down. The book is hilarious. I’ve never read a book that says, “fucked in the ass” so many times. In fact I may go back and count how many times it says that, just for the hek of it. He is smart and hysterical and now I’m a big Dan Savage fan. He lives in Seattle and he has written a sex column for all people, gay and straight and I think he has four books out. Since I’ve been trying to have a kid for fourteen years, even longer than the amount of time I’ve been writing a musical about trying to have a kid, there was a lot I could relate to, but of course, our stories are 100% different. Duh! It’s always like that. That is such a mistaken notion, like, Oh no, a movie just came out and it’s a love story. Now I won’t be able to sell my movie. Insanity!

I have rehearsal tomorrow with Jason Robert Brown and Georgia Stitt. We’re doing a benefit at Georgia’s church in Pasadena. I’m in a 30-person choir. I love them and their respective writing so much. I’m over the moon about Georgia’s song My Lifelong Love. Look them up and buy their albums. www.jasonrobertbrown.com and www.georgiastitt.com. Bars 142 and 143 in LLL are challenging, but I love being challenged and having to sit at the piano and actually count to figure those measures out. Today is the day, 17 years ago, that I stopped drinking alcohol. Tucker Max writes about drinking and having sex. Mine will be about not drinking and not having sex. I'm on probation. No dating. Okay, bedtime. I broke my blogging abstinence. Finally!

1 comment:

JRB said...

Welcome back! There's something weird about the formatting, I can't read much of the right column. This wasn't a problem with the other entry...